Nausea and vomiting are symptoms, not causes. You can have one without the other, but they are problematic on their own or in combination, not to mention very unpleasant.
Nausea and vomiting are signs of appendicitis, blocked intestines, brain injury, concussion, flu, food poisoning, overeating, migraines, and more. In very serious cases, nausea and vomiting may indicate cancer, central nervous disorders, kidney problems, liver conditions and more.
There’s nothing comfortable about nausea and vomiting, but they need attention and care. And, CBD oil may just provide an excellent solution.
People are hit with nausea and vomiting for many reasons and on many occasions. Motion sickness experienced at sea or in the air often induces vomiting. As many as 55% of pregnant women struggle with nausea during their first months of gestation. And, people exposed to chemical odors, offensive smells, and airborne toxins react with nausea and vomiting.
In some situations, vomiting is a positive and natural way to purge the system of poisons. But, severe nausea and vomiting may indicate larger problems and lead to dehydration and damage to the esophagus and digestive tract.
The respected Cleveland Clinic recommends the following for treating nausea:
- Drink clear or ice-cold drinks.
- Eat light, bland foods (such as saltine crackers or plain bread).
- Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
- Eat slowly and eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Do not mix hot and cold foods.
- Drink beverages slowly.
- Avoid activity after eating.
- Avoid brushing your teeth after eating.
- Choose foods from all the food groups as you can tolerate them to get adequate nutrition.
They also suggest treating vomiting with:
- Drinking gradually larger amounts of clear liquids;
- Avoiding solid food until the vomiting episode has passed;
- Resting; and
- Temporarily discontinuing all oral medications, which can irritate the stomach and make vomiting worse.
Popular pharmacies and markets will carry popular over-the-counter brands like Kaopectate, Pepto Bismol, Dramamine, and others.
CBD Oil for nausea and vomiting
According to a history of anecdotal reports, CBD has proven very effective in reducing the nausea and vomiting that afflicts patients under chemotherapy and HIV/AIDS patients taking their complex pharmaceutical cocktail. Still, university research on the anti-emetic effects of CBD has multiplied.
Here are just a few of the high-impact conclusions:
- In 2002, Neuroreport followed a study that concluded. “cannabidiol, a major non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in marijuana and its synthetic dimethylheptyl homolog interfere with nausea elicited by lithium chloride and with conditioned nausea elicited by a flavor paired with lithium chloride. These results suggest that cannabinoids without psychoactive side-effects may have therapeutic value in the treatment of chemotherapy-induced nausea.”
- A 2011 study published in the British Journal of Pharmacology points out that “the neural mechanisms of nausea are still not well understood.” But, the study did study the effects of CBD on lab animals extensively to confirm “The anti-emetic effect of cannabinoids has been shown across a wide variety of animals that are capable of vomiting in response to a toxic challenge.”
- A 2014 article in the European Journal of Pharmacology confirmed, “Cannabis has long been known to limit or prevent nausea and vomiting from a variety of causes.”
- A 2016 report in Pharmacology administered subthreshold combined doses of THC or CBDA to significantly suppress acute nausea, but individual doses of CBDA were “maximally effective.”
How CBD works on nausea and vomiting
Research covered by the British Journal of Pharmacology explains how CBD controls nausea:
“Cannabidiol, a non-psychotropic component of cannabis, attenuates vomiting and nausea-like behaviour via indirect agonism of 5-HT(1A) somatodendritic autoreceptors in the dorsal raphe nucleus.” But, that does not explain anything to the average reader.
CBD (cannabidiol) works differently than the THC that dominates most cannabis strains. It does not bind to CB1 and CB2 receptors as THC does. Rather, CBD supports runs interference on the mechanics that launch nausea and vomiting.
- CBD triggers 5-hydroxytryptamine-1A (5-HT1A) that reduces the sensation of nausea.
- CBD influences and modulates the flow of serotonin to reduce further stimulation of the vomiting center in the brain.
- CBD supports anandamide, a natural enzyme, a neurotransmitter, and endocannabinoid. Anandamide produces a heightened state of happiness, so they call it “the bliss molecule.”
Anandamide plays a role in memory, motivation, and movement control. It influences appetite, fertility, and pain. And, it has neurogenic properties that reduce cancer cell metastasis.
The problem is that anandamide breaks down and is absorbed quickly. But, CBD supports anandamide by managing the fatty acids that degrade it. So, with less anandamide degraded and absorbed, the body’s systems stabilize.
Why CBD oil?
CBD can be ingested in edible form or smoked. So, why choose pure CBD oil?
- CBD oil extracted from hemp has so little THC it is completely legal in all 50 states. It produces the health benefits of cannabinoids without the negative psychoactive effects.
- CBD oil extracted using CO2 yields a product with all the beneficial terpenes, acids, minerals, and vitamins of the source.
- CBD oil is easily consumed and administered.
It’s this convenience that can be most helpful to patients. CBD oil can mix with beverages and recipes. But, it is usually administered under the tongue where it absorbs quickly. The CBD dosage for nausea can vary from person to person. We always recommend starting with small doses and slowly increase your intake.
This convenience is very important to those suffering from and weakened by chemotherapy or other debilitating conditions.
Your CBD and nausea takeaway
There is ample anecdotal and scientific evidence that CBD has anti-emetic properties. Its benefits are so valued that research continues and results confirm the complex inner workings of CBD on the human systems. Pure and refined CBD oil offers the best of the product’s benefits with the most convenience.