General Pet Stress
Both humans and pets alike can suffer from the mentally-crippling symptoms of stress. It hurts to watch a loved one suffer, including your furry family member. Good news! CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound derived from hemp and it is showing promise regarding natural and swift relief of symptoms of stress without any adverse side effects.
Let’s take a look at what the common symptoms of stress are and how CBD can work as a holistic remedy for stress and anxiousness.
Common Symptoms of Pet Stress
While you may think your pet lives a simple life, they are just as susceptible to stress symptoms just like humans. Fear and stress are the body’s natural responses to a stimulant.
If you have a rescue pet that has suffered abuse, they may be prone to experience feelings of anxiousness, fears, and phobias. Moving to a new house can stress a pet, and so can introducing a new member of the family (a baby or a new pet).
Different symptoms of stress create unique responses that are different in pets, which makes diagnosing stress induced symptoms difficult. The most common signs your fur-baby may be suffering from stress are:
- Whimpering and whining
Other less noticeable symptoms are shown as anti-social behavior and avoiding other pets and people. Also, anxious dogs can be seen as hyper when in reality they may need some assistance with their mental health.
Ways to Use CBD to Alleviate Symptoms of Stress
There is very little research that proves CBD can help treat the symptoms of stress in pets, but there are many success stories from real pet parents who use CBD oil to help their furry friend feel better.
Dogs are much more sensitive to cannabinoids like CBD because there endocannabinoid system has a higher concentration of CB2 receptors that play a role in how CBD affects our body.
CBD is considered non-toxic. The dosage guidelines outlined on the CBD product you choose should be followed and then fine-tuned to meet your pet’s needs.
A CBD oil will work best for your pet, but if you struggle to administer the medicine to your pet, try a tasty CBD-rich cat or dog treat.
Tips for Choosing the Best CBD Oil for Your Pet
- Before starting any regimen for your pets, always speak to your vet before and during your pet’s CBD journey.
- Do your research. Know about the company and manufacturing methods before you consider making your first CBD purchase.
- Start low, go slow. Start with a small dose ad work your way up slowly as needed. Starting with small doses is the best way to prevent/limit any adverse reactions.
- Complete labeling that is accurate is most important regarding safety and success with cannabinoids like CBD. Look for the concentration of CBD.
Accuracy in Labeling
Knowing how much active ingredients are in your CBD oil is very important. This is true for any product. Traditional medicines have standardized labeling procedures making label accuracy simple.
The two most important pieces of information you need to use CBD successfully and safely are:
1. The quantity of CBD (and other cannabinoids) milligrams per milliliter (mg/ml).
2. The other ingredients used, some CBD products for pets have salmon oil which is great for a healthy coat of fur for your pets.