Beginners Guide to CBD for Pets: Stress and Anxiousness
Humans and pets alike can often experience the mentally-crippling symptoms directly associated with both stress and anxiety. While it certainly hurts to watch a loved one suffer, especially a pet, there is good news! Cannabidiol (CBD), a natural compound derived from the hemp plant, has demonstrated great promise in relieving these symptoms without any adverse effect. In this article, we will analyze some of the most common symptoms of stress and anxiety, and how CBD can be utilized as an effective holistic remedy.
Common Stress Symptoms in Pets
While most pets live a simple life, they are just as susceptible to symptoms of stress and anxiety as humans are. For example, rescue pets that have suffered prior abuse are more prone to experience feelings of anxiousness, fear, and phobias. Additionally, situations such as moving to a new home or introducing a new family member could potentially stress a pet as well. While different situations create varying responses, the most common signs of stress and anxiety in animals include:
- Whimpering and whining
- Anti-social behavior
How to Use CBD to Alleviate Stress in Pets
Like all mammals, dogs have an endogenous endocannabinoid system (ECS), making them sensitive to cannabinoids such as CBD. While there is currently minimal research demonstrating cannabidiol’s ability to help ease symptoms of stress in pets, there are many first-hand testimonials from real pet owners that claim success.
For proper dosing practices, initially follow the product’s dosage recommendation and then fine-tune to meet your pet’s needs. Considering that CBD is a non-toxic compound, you can increase dosages without risking overdose or otherwise harming your pet.
Tips for Choosing the Best CBD Oil for Your Pet
- Consult with a licensed veterinarian before beginning a CBD regimen for your pet.
- Independently research company policy and understand their manufacturing methods before considering your first CBD purchase.
- Always begin with a small dose and then gradually increase as needed to ensure that you understand how your pet will react.
- Reading any and all labeling is crucial to the safety of any CBD-infused product. Independent, third-party lab tests should be available upon request.
Knowing the exact amount of active ingredients in your CBD oil is essential – this is true for any product. Traditional medicines have standardized labeling procedures that make label accuracy simple.
The two most important pieces of information required to use CBD successfully and safely are:
- The quantity of CBD (and other cannabinoids), often read as milligrams per milliliter (mg/ml).
- Understanding all included ingredients. For instance, certain CBD-infused pet products additionally contain salmon oil, which is an excellent source of nutrients that is exceptionally beneficial for a healthy coat.